Research & Guides
This guide is written to support treasury practitioners whose responsibility is to invest short-term surplus cash. While most companies are likely to have varying cash balances over the course of a year, it is appropriate for treasurers to try to consider cash as falling into three separate categories for investment purposes: operating cash, short-term strategic cash and longer-term cash. The focus in this guide is on investing the operating cash used to finance working capital. Topics examined include:
- Reviewing existing policies and processes, as well as designing new ones
- Key elements to include in a standalone short-term investment policy
- Points to cover when developing investment management procedures
The transaction banking services industry is continually changing, as are the needs of treasury departments. Years after the financial crisis, examining counterparty aspects remains as important today as it ever was. This gtnews study examines organisations’ level of client satisfaction with their transaction services providers. Among the key areas explored in this report are:
- Factors in selecting a bank: From the availability and quality of services provided to the financial stability of the financial institution.
- The impact of mobile services in a compa¬ny’s decision-making process –While three-quarters of financial institutions offer mobile service solutions to their corporate clients, companies place a greater value on services other than mobile solutions when selecting their banking partners.
- Possible areas for improvement –data on the greatest opportunity to improvement; including, standards harmonization, access to real-time data and improved integration between systems and multi-banking partners.
The annual gtnews Treasury Risk survey looks at the changing landscape of corporate risk management from the treasury/finance professional’s perspective. The survey provides up-to-date insight on evolving risk attitudes and practices while presenting a framework for a holistic, integrated approach to managing risk. Data for 327 respondents is analyzed by organization size (revenue) and region on topics including:
- Risk identification and quantification – insight on treasury’s role in managing key business, operational and financial risks through use of scenario, sensitivity and “at-risk” analyses.
- Risk strategy and policy – information on the most common risk objectives, organizational structures, and role responsibilities as well as trending for newly managed risk classes, risk attitudes and risk mitigation efforts.
- Process and execution – data on common risk systems/solutions and the top day-to-day challenges and opportunities for risk management.
The annual gtnews Payments survey explores how payments are made and received around the world by focusing on payments structure, banking relationships, methods of payments and payments services. The survey offers insight into the changing payments landscape, including the use of SEPA services and mobile payments methods. Data for 284 respondents is analyzed by organization size (revenue) and region on topics including:
- Payments structure – information on the number of bank relationships and payments systems used along with usage of payments factories/shared services centres and payments-on-behalf-of models.
- Methods of payment – commonly used and accepted payments methods and emerging trends mobile payments and SEPA direct debits.
- Payment services – insight on SWIFT and SEPA service usage and adoption. Also discusses e-invoicing and mobile authorization.
The annual gtnews Treasury Management Systems (TMS) survey examines TMS usage, acquisition and integration as well as benefits and challenges with the systems. The survey offers insight into how TMS support treasury professionals in their daily responsibilities. Data for 506 respondents is analyzed by organization size (revenue) and region on topics including:
- Usage of TMS – trends in adoption of TMS, including selection processes, implementation time and challenges faced.
- TMS integration – compatibility features and challenges for interfacing with ERP and linking hubs.
- TMS benefits and challenges – effectiveness ratings from users, views on TMS integration and potential areas for product improvement.
The gtnews Cash Management and Trade Finance survey examines methods and standards affecting cash management and its integration in trade finance. The survey analyzes the effects of regulation and the macro economy on the business decisions of treasury and finance departments. Data for 135 respondents is analyzed by organization size (revenue) and region on topics including:
- Cash management activities – trends in liquidity structure and cash concentration, common barriers to accurate cash flow forecasting, short-term deficit and surplus management.
- Treasury’s role – separate and shared responsibilities of treasury and finance departments for integration of cash management, trade finance and other activities.
- External effects – impacts of regulations such as Basel III and the Eurozone crisis on financial decisions for Treasury departments.