There is an even split within the financial services sector over whether the UK would be better off economically by remaining in the EU or leaving the union of 27 countries, a Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) survey shows.
Of more than 500 respondents, 51% say the UK should stay put within the community while the other 49% feel the country would benefit by quitting the EU.
One supporter of the UK remaining in the EU warned: “It would be a great tragedy not just for the UK, but future world stability if the country left the EU.”
“For better or for worse our destiny lies in closer integration with Europe” and “The EU has better bargaining strength than the UK alone” were among further views.
Putting the other side of the argument a respondent said: “We’re an entrepreneurial lot (shopkeepers according to Napolean). The UK economy would make progress outside EU control.”
Other comments included: “If it left, the UK would not be required to comply with EU directives which drag down its economy” and “Savings from leaving and no longer paying into the EU would outweigh the trade losses.”
The annual BNP Paribas Cash Management University kicked off on Thursday morning with treasury professionals congregating in Paris from across Europe.
APIs may be a solution to MT940 challenges, says Karen Fagan, treasury operation manager, for British television company, ITV.
Kicking off the first day of the Singapore Fintech Festival, issues with cryptocurrencies were addressed by MIT media labs director, Joi Ito, and panels of technology leaders discussed how they’re using data analytics.
Sibos 2017 day two highlights: Brexit and banking, and why ‘data is the new oil’ in financial services
How nation first politics can impact global financial organisations It’s clear that data and regulation are the two key topics that are ... read more